Health Insurance for foreign students

Print This Page Print This Page

Health insurance is mandatory for all students for the entire duration of their stay in Poland.

  1. EU citizens should have health insurance in their home countries. They are eligible for free health service in Poland providing that they present their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

Non-EU citizens can sign insurance agreement with the Polish Health National Fund (NFZ – Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia) and pay monthly contribution to the NFZ.

  1. Students who have the Card of the Pole (Karta Polaka) or foreigners of Polish descent who have it confirmed by a Consulate are entitled to be insured by the University on the Polish Government cost.

In order to be insured, they have to sign a contract with The National Health Fund  and submit a copy of the contract to the Welfare Section of the Office for Student Affairs along with:

  • the application form (printed, filled in and signed),
  • a copy of the Card of the Pole or certificate of the Polish origin,
  • confirmation of student status (issued bythe students office of the faculty)
  1. Non-EU citizens who neither have the Card of the Pole nor Polish descent are also obliged to have an insurance during the whole duration of their stay in Poland. Otherwise students are required to pay for any health service they get.

They can sign a healthcare insurance agreement with the Polish National Health Fund (Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia) or with one of private companies in Poland.

When applying for voluntary healthcare insurance in the Polish National Health Fund a foreigner has to present:

  • passport with a current visa or residence permit
    • registration of residence (it can be obtained in the dormitory administration office)
    • confirmation of student status (issued by the students office of the faculty)

After signing a contract with the NFZ, the applicant has to fill out and submit the ZUS ZZA form to an appropriate Social Security Institution (ZUS) branch or inspectorate (the form is available here ->) what is the Social Security Institution (ZUS)?

The form can be printed out and delivered in person or sent by post to the branch or Social Security Institution inspectorate in the competent district.

Contributions for each calendar month are paid by the 15th day of the following month (ex. for April by 15 May).


Please check the website Migrantinfo to learn more not only about health insurance but also about rights of a foreigner in Poland:


useful links:

Natinal Health Fund (NFZ)

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)